Saturday, October 26, 2013

'Tis a Gift to Be Simple


'Tis the gift to be simple,

'Tis the gift to be free,

'Tis the gift to come down

Where we ought to be,





A couple of weeks ago, a student in one of our English classes lamented the fact that Vientiane has changed so much in the last 30 years.  He remembered streets that were not crowded with cars and life was more simple. He said people were more content. Now there are so many vehicles of all sorts, it takes lots of time just to go a few kilometers. I see his point for sure.



I am, however, experiencing just the opposite. There is something quite peaceful about having only two suitcases full of personal belongings  to fill my drawers and closet. Remember, that includes clothing and personal items like lots of mosquito repellent.

I know, I know. That's not a mosquito and no amount of repellent will help with this big boy (who by the way probably doesn't bite).




I once read a book by Anne Morrow Lindberg called Gift from the Sea. She took a few items with her to a beach house and unwound her complicated life by living simply.



I am not living like that. But, in a way life is simpler here. We are very busy everyday with our projects and our teaching. We have things waiting in the wings like a project to take 25 tons of rice to some flood victims in Southern Laos. But, at least I don't have a lot of possessions to worry about. Which means, I do laundry a little more often but they are smaller batches that are easily washed and hung out on the line.

Tonight as I was heating up the water with which to rinse the dishes, I thought about how at home my water is already hot and clean out of the tap. I throw the dishes into the dishwasher and do a load once a day. But, even boiling water for drinking doesn't really take that much time compared to the time some of my distractions take at home. By the way, I don't count my children and grandchildren as distractions.  I do miss my kids and grandchildren. But, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to keep connected with video chats and email.

Life here took a little getting used to at first but I have a gas stove and oven; a washer; a fridge, a water purifier that takes out most of the impurities;  a computer with the internet; and a microwave. I think the most important thing I have is a comfortable bed. Life is good. 
The only thing I buy is food and household supplies.

But, have I mentioned that one of the biggest blessings is that we don't have to drive in this traffic. We walked to the grocery store the other day and the bank. Today we walked to the mall.


 We have the best driver to drive us to all of our well sites and our English Classes and a million other places that we can't walk to easily. If we had to find the schools on those back roads....we'd be lost for days. And now we've come full circle where I'm talking about the traffic my student was complaining about.

We reminded him that the life expectancy has gone up and people generally don't have as much back breaking work. He shrugged and still yearned for the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment